Having two young children (2 and a half and 4 months, respectively) has certainly curtailed my adventurous activities over the last couple of years. However, I managed to acquire the all important 'pass' from my wife in order to spend a long weekend in the Alps, skiing with 3 friends (Nick, Gordon and Dave)
![]() |
| Favourable Forecast! |
The forecast looked promising for the duration of the weekend. Snow conditions were relatively good, with plenty of white stuff to enjoy. Temperatures had been rising of late so avalanche danger was an increasing threat especially in the afternoons. With very little fresh snow even the most remote snowfields had been tracked out by like-minded skiers and boarders. We had 3 days to go at:
![]() |
| Dave and Chris approaching Col des Crochues |
![]() |
| Nick and Gordon |
Day 1 was spent on Le Brevent, finding our ski legs. Myself and Dave hadn't skied for 2 years, however, it was Nick and Gordon's third trip of the season!!
![]() |
| Chris heading down the Valley before ascent to Col Du Berard |
I had recently bought a new pair of touring boots (Scarpa Maestrale) to replace my Scarpa Denali's that had served me well for 10 years! This was the weekend to break them in and enjoy the technogical advancements of modern boot technology (light, responsive, comfortable). Unfortunately, in use the boots were just too narrow and they gave me a lot of pain throughout the weekend which really hindered my enjoyment as I had to ski with them relatively loose, which totally compromised any gains in responsiveness! I did have them professionally fitted and I am confident that after a little bit of tweaking here and there they will fit perfectly!?
![]() |
| View back up to Col des Crochues |
| Quick rest to take in the views before the skin up to Col du Berard |
Day 2 was spent skiing the Crochues-Berard (all pics) traverse (Classic!) in the company of Matt Dickinson, a British Mountain Guide, based in the Chamonix Valley. This was a great day - a true mountain adventure; L'Index lift, Floria button; skin to the Col des Crochues - involving plenty of kick-turns on the ascent. [In 2003, I ruptured my ACL whilst kick-turning on an early alpine start during a traverse of the Haute Route]. I did not want to repeat that on this trip. I must confess that I was moderately proud of my kick-turns on this particular day! Skis off for last 20 metres or so. Breathtaking views of the route that would take us down the valley, before skinning up to the Col du Berard for a lunch stop. Stunning views of the Berard Valley which would lead us ultimately to our destination - Le Buet.
Day 3 was spent at Le Grands Montets where we picked up a route from the top cable car and skiied down via the Glacier Argentiere.
A great few days. A better fitting boot would have increased my enjoyment, however, as they say.....no pain, no gain!!
Mountain Equipment:
I took a few bits of new gear with me to test, however, the weather was just too good and I was invariably skiing in a base layer (Altus Half Zip), softshell jacket (Microtherm) and soft shell trousers (G2 Ultimate Mtn Pant)
Kalanka Jacket - Day One (Brevent)
Changabang Pant - Day One
Eclipse Hooded Zip T (new for AW11) - Day One - again brill bit of kit, just too warm today!
Microtherm Jacket - Touring day (at least 8 years old - still amazing)
G2 Ultimate Mountain Pant - Day 2 and 3: don't delay...buy a pair today!! The most amazingly verstaile mountain pant!!
Firelite Jacket - stayed in pack on touring day
Firelite Pant - stayed in pack on touring day
Altus LS Zip Neck (powerdry)
Momentum Powerdry base layer.
Powerstretch Tights - worn under Chang Pants
Aiguille Hooded Jacket - not worn
Bastion Jacket (New for AW11) - unfortunately not worn
Randonee Glove - spare gloves on touring day.
Super Alpine Glove - every day. Great glove!
Couloir Glove - not worn








