Sunday, 10 April 2011

Kinder Downfall Race

With some trepidation I joined the near 300 runners on the bridge in the middle of Hayfield, Derbyshire, about to start the Kinder Downfall fell race. The sun was hot, the race was my first and the hill was big.


9.6 miles up and down Kinder.

The hill kicks off straight away as you can see, and I concentrated on not going too fast, but never the less I was concerned that the number of people passing me meant I was sure to be at the back of the field in a matter of moments.

That didn't happen and I kept going, feeling fairly comfortable initially as the route got steeper and steeper up William Clough then a short drop and a steep blast up stone steps. By this time I was not feeling quite so perky but still ok.

Then the long Kinder edge section. It was undulating with loads of rocks, including the Downfall itself. Several sections were full on rock hopping at top speed. Really good fun. It seemed there were often short sections where the path went round a group of boulders but if you picked the correct line you could blast across the complex ground and make time on the runners going the slightly longer way.
That and following people wearing club vests across short cuts took me to Kinder Low, though by this time I was feeling it in my legs. I had picked up a runner (hello 88) and was just trying to keep with him as the uphill sections got harder and harder.

Then thankfully to the downhill. Initially it was blasting down flags and then at Edale Cross a horrible rutted stony path eventually giving way to soft grass. As the downhill went on and on it got harder and harder. I was feeling awful at this stage. Just trying not to get dropped by 88 and to ignore the pain in my legs. A few people went past me but it wasn't the rush I had been expecting.


I think this photo sums it up.

Eventually the last mile or so on roads and paths was upon me and then the last 100m to the finish. I managed a sprint finish, overtaking somebody in the last seconds, before stopping. Oh happy day.

A foot cooling dip in the stream and I was good. 1:33:28 and 85th place. Made up!

no. 273 has finished

If you want to see photos of people who are not suffering as much as me have a look at Dan Asbury's gallery and if you want to know more about the Kinder Downfall race or others around Hayfield look here