Monday, 19 July 2010

Hathersage Triathlon

I just missed the Hathersage "Hilly" Triathlon last year and have been looking forward to 2010 since. Not so much that I actually did much training, but then I have been heard offering the opinion that one can do a Sprint Triathlon off a decent base fitness, without much specific training.
So time to put it to the test.

The weather was not inspiring but with swimmers starting from 7.15am I was lucky that by the time I started the rain had all but stopped. The Hathersage Lido is great: heated outdoor pools definitely have a lot to be said for them.
After a very civilised swim- no elbows in the face here- I hauled out and jogged down to the first transition. Here I spent an eternity trying to get an ill advised long sleeved base layer and vest combo on.When it was still raining
I had made the call that long sleeves would stop the wind chill on the bike, but hadn't realised in my hypoxic state that a. it wasn't raining anymore and b. it is very hard to get two miss matched close fitting layers over a wet body, in a hurry.

Eventually I was on the bike and heading under the railway bridge and out towards Grindleford and Calver. After overtaking a couple of people early on I was out on the road pretty much alone for most of the rest of the ride. A proper cyclist sped past me on Froggat Hill, but apart from that I was alone on the road, more like a time trial than my previous triathlons. The headwind between Burbage and Surprise View wasn't as bad as I had feared and then it was the descent back down to Hathersage.

At T2 I had another slow change, this time taking the long sleeved top off without taking my vest off first! Thought it would be quicker, until I was nearly immobilised by the fabric wrapping around my shoulders and getting caught on my helmet.

Then, only 6km of hills to run between me and stopping. A flat 1st km or so and then a series of climbs and short flats winding between the bracken and trees until I reached "the ski slope". A speed walk up that madly steep section, left at Lawrencefield and then down hill all the way to the finish. Hammering down the wet slopes was as much about staying upright as going faster.


Swim 420m: 9:15
Bike 20km: 49:49
Run 6km: 34:27
Transitions: 3:26!
Overall: 1:37:01