Thursday, 24 June 2010

An evening in the Churnet Valley

Since moving to the edge of the Peak District almost a year ago, I have been spending lots of time on grit edges and in limestone dales but have been rather neglectful of sandstone, specifically sandstone conglomerate.

I had no plans for Wednesday evening beyond climbing, and the long sunny evening made it a perfect opportunity for my first trip south to the Churnet Valley. At 1hr and 25mins drive it is a rather long way for an evening session but what I found made the drive more than worthwhile.

I headed to Wright's Rock as it was the shortest walk and found a steep crag with flat grassy landings. The rock featured pockets, slopers, wierd tweaky pebble holds and lots of steepness and roofs.

After a giving me a quick tour the only other climbers there left and I had the crag to myself for a couple of hours. It was really good getting stuck into steep problems and good friction. It was a world away from last Sunday evening at Mother Cap, behind Millstone Edge: Groups of tourist wandering around, midges and greasy holds.

I walked back to the car at 10pm, in day light, already thinking of the tick list for my next trip.


Still actual grass below some problems!

Setting sun, trees, quiet.