Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Wintery Wimberry



I Got up early on Saturday and drove out to Wimberry in the Chew Valley, a much ignored area of blasted heath and dark brooding crags.

At the bottom of the hill it was quite pleasant in the sun, but as I worked higher wandering between the problems it got much more windy and cold. As I was climbing by myself, having the crashpad blow away mid problem was more than a tad inconvenient..
I wore my Microtherm jacket over a thermal and tee the whole time and it kept most of the chilly wind out. It was fine as long as I kept moving. No brews for me.

Still, it was good. I was pleased to do a few of the more testing probs (for me) including the pumpy traverse of Think Tank first go.

I went back to the arete next to Slap Happy at the bottom of the hill for a self timer photo. I had totally failed on my previous attempt, but my body and mind had been working on it in the meantime and I pulled on and nailed it with a totally different sequence. Surprising, but half the fun of bouldering..