Tuesday, 22 September 2009

Dawn Patrol

Inspired by tales of back country ski fanatics in places like SLC, Utah, getting up in the dark for a dawn decent before work, I set my alarm early on Sunday morning. Too much to do to go climbing, but with a fantastic forecast, it seemed the perfect opportunity for my own Dawn Patrol.

I got up at 5.45 had coffee and toast and set off in the dark to the Roaches. By the time I was there it was light, and dry. Getting out of the car at 7 am to total tranquility was wonderful.

I spent a couple of very happy hours bouldering at the Lower Tier Boulders with only a sheep for company. Then I had coffee and fruit bar second breakfast overlooking the quiet mist wreathed landscape, before heading down to the Spring Boulders for a quick slab session.

Then I was on my way home having seen just one pair of early birds heading up to the crag, just before I left.
FANTASTIC!

Climbed some great problems with the crag all to myself, and was back home by 10.15. I will definitely do this again...


Sunrise over New Mills, on route.


Self timer shot. Problem solved after working out the undercling hand swap sequence.